What is Coaching?
Coaching is a proven key approach through which leadership within organisations can be developed. Coaching is a method of developing an individual's capabilities with a particular emphasis on developing self-awareness, resilience and an understanding of the teams in which they work in order to facilitate the achievement of organisational success. This one to one focused and bespoke relationship can offer insights into our own strengths and areas for development; creates a space to think differently and more creatively in order to realise our potential. Coaching is often perceived as the single most effective development intervention that a leader in the NHS can access.
- The relationship has a set duration
- It is structured with regular scheduled meetings
- Short term and focussed on specific development areas, issues, goals and work
- Your coach does not need direct experience of your role
Who can access coaching?
As part of our commitment to developing leaders within the East Midlands, the East Midlands Leadership Academy has a skilled group of NHS Coaches who are qualified to either ILM7 or EMCC Practitioner level in coaching that can support NHS staff Bands 6 and above.
Why access coaching?
Research shows that there are huge personal benefits to accessing coaching, particularly at times of change.
- Is a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires individuals to maximise their personal and professional potential
- Helps improve personal performance (closing the gap between potential and performance)
- Helps increase morale, motivation and enthusiasm
- Can help to reduce levels of stress
- Improves self- confidence at all levels
- Helps encourage a more proactive approach to addressing issues and making decisions
Coaching is one of the key approaches through which leadership within organisations can be developed. Coaching is a method of developing an individual's capabilities in order to facilitate the achievement of organisational success. This one to one focused and bespoke relationship is often perceived as the single most effective development intervention that leaders in the NHS can access.
All coaching is provided face to face and free of charge, and coaches will work across the East Midlands.
Would you like to:
- Improve confidence?
- Improve resilience and the ability to handle change?
- Improve communication skills and the ability to work well with others?
- Have support find ways to operate under new conditions and in unfamiliar territory beyond traditional NHS boundaries, in a wider public sector setting?
- Have support to develop and strengthen partnerships that can withstand political and socio-economic pressures in a change climate?
Coaching is for you!
If you are interested in receiving coaching and are from a member organisation, please click to Request a Coach.
If you have a specific coach in mind, please click here to Find a Coach.
To become a coach on the EMLA Coaching register you must:
- Be qualified at either ILM7 or EMCC Practitioner level
- When approached for coaching via the register provide up to two hours of coaching per month
- Undertake Continuous Professional Development (CPD) to enhance knowledge, develop skills and become more effective at coaching
- Participate in supervision designed to help reflect on and improve coaching effectiveness (the recommendation is for every 20 hours of coaching to access one of EMLA’s virtual coaching supervision interventions)
- Regularly update the EMLA team of coaching relationships started and finished to allow for accurate reporting of coaching activity within the region
- Respond to quarterly coaching surveys undertaken; without breaking confidentiality of coachees to help identify any common themes that are being faced
- Operate according to the EMCC Code of Ethics.
Please complete the attached pro-forma and send back to the EMLA Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a coach? We are currently open for applications for the next cohort the EMCC Coach Mentoring Practitioner Level qualification - for more detials and to apply click here.